The most festive main dish: Christmas turkey with groats, mushrooms, dried fruits and pomegranate stuffing! Merry Christmas!
- 250gr. butter EPIRUS 50-50
- Butter EPIRUS melted
- 1 turkey 3.5-4kg
- 1 handful of parsley (optional)
- Zest from 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt , Pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 oranges (diced)
- 1 lemon (diced)
- 2 laurel leaves
- olive oil
- 4 Thyme sticks
- A little rosemary
- 1 cube of vegetable broth
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 leek
- 1 glass (white) wine (about 100ml)
For the stuffing:
- 2 tbsp Epirus 50-50
- 350 gr. groats
- 700ml. hot water
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of raisins (blonde)
For the turkey:
- In a bowl we put the butter, which we have at room temperature, along with lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, (parsley) and mashed garlic. Mix well.
- Carefully open the turkey’s skin (pick up the skin) and pass through the mixture we made with butter and herbs. We make sure it goes everywhere.
- Cut oranges and lemon into slices or cubes. Fill the inside of the turkey with the oranges (in pieces), the lemon, the thyme and the laurel. If we want to put some rosemary.
- Keep a little of the butter and herbs mix and apply on the turkey (over the skin). Put some olive oil to prevent the butter from burning and add salt, pepper.
- Slice the carrots, onions and leek into pieces and add then in the tray to set the turkey on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220 degrees for 10 minutes and then continue firing at 180 degrees for 1½ hours.
- Remember that we count about 25 minutes for each kilo of turkey. If you have a thermometer the temperature should be in the chest from 72 to 75 degrees.
For the stuffing:
- Put the warm water in a bowl and pour the groat. Allow it to absorb all the liquid. In a pan, sauté the remaining ingredients with EPIRUS butter melted and quenched with wine.
- Add the groat and mix. Remove from the fire and add the pomegranate in the end to maintain its color. We can serve the stuffing as a accompaniment to the turkey.
- Remove the turkey from the tray and transfer it to a platter. If desired, sprinkle with a little pomegranate and a little parsley or add 2-3 small sprigs of thyme or rosemary.
- We can serve the stuffing around the turkey or in a separate utensil, depending on what we prefer.
- If we want, we add the vegetables in a blender, on which we cooked the turkey, along with the liquors that came out of our meat. We have a quick and easy tasting sauce to accompany our dish.