An easy and guaranteed recipe for homemade, tasty bread!
- 2 cups (470 mL) lukewarm water, between 30˚-40˚C
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for sprinkle (600 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Add the yeast into the water and allow for 5 minutes to bloom until foamy. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt by hand. Once incorporated, create a small “hole” in the middle and pour in the water and yeast mixture.
- Mix by hand, wetting your working hand before mixing so the dough doesn’t stick on your fingers.
- Once the dough is ready, cover and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 ½-2 hours).
- Uncover the dough and, using your hand or a rubber spatula, start from the rim of the bowl to work the dough loose from the sides and fold it up and towards the center of the bowl.
- Once finished, cover the bowl and let the dough rise again for another 1 ½-2 hours. Once the dough has doubled in size again, gently transfer it from the bowl to a lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on top of the dough. Using your hands, begin to shape it into a loaf. Fold the dough under itself several times to form a ball, then pinch together the seams of dough underneath.
- Place the dough seam-side down in a clean bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil and flour. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. In the same time, place a 6-quart Dutch oven in the oven and preheat the oven to 230˚C (with the pot inside) for 45 minutes. Carefully remove the pot from the oven and place it on a heat-safe surface. Turn the proofed dough over onto a lightly floured surface. Then carefully place it in the pot. Cover with the lid and bake for 45 minutes (230˚C ), removing the lid for the last 15 minutes.
- Remove bread from pot, cover, and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.