Giouvarlakia is a greek favourite dish made of meatballs and lemon-egg sauce. Easy in the making, a recipe you can find in many alternatives. This is my suggestion!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 leek
- Boars from 1 bunch of parsley and 1 bunch of dill
- 700 gr beef mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ bunch of parsley finely chopped
- ½ bunch of dill finely chopped
- 6 mint leaves finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 30gr rice
- ½ leeks finely chopped
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 egg
- Salt, Pepper
- 1 cup of flour
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- For broth: Cut 2 onions (do not peel them) in 4 pieces and place in a pot. Add 1 sliced carrot, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 leek, parsley and dill and saute them together in 2 tbsp oil for 2 minutes.
- Fill with water to the middle of the pot and when it’s boiling, lower the heat and cook for 40-45 minutes. Strain and keep only the broth.
- For meatballs: Until the broth is made, put in a bowl the mince, onion, parsley, dill, mint rice, leek, lemon zest, olive oil, egg, garlic, salt and pepper and stir well. Place the flour on a clean surface. Roll the meatballs in the flour. Tinkle lightly with our fingers to remove the extra amount.
- In the pot, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the meatballs in doses. When we remove the last dose, add the broth and boil. Add the meatballs and cook with closed lid for 35-40 minutes.
- As soon as the food is ready, we remove from fire and start making the egg-lemon sauce (as long as our broth is still hot).
- For egg-lemon: In a bowl, pour the juice of one lemon, 2 yolks, 2 tbsp corn flour and mix well with a wire. With a ladle, we add slowly broth from the food (about a third of its quantity). Then return the mixture to the saucepan, mix up by moving cyclically the pot.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?