Kopanata is one of the authentic Sicilian recipes for eggplant sauce, which can be combined with pasta, chicken or plain.
- 3 eggplants
- 1 large onion, white
- 4 sprigs of celery
- 300 gr. tomatoes
- 15 green olives
- 2 tbsp. of capers
- 50 gr. of pine nuts
- 4 tbsp. of raisins (sultanina)
- 60 gr. sugar
- 60 ml vinegar, white
- fresh basil
- 40 gr. tomato paste
- sunflower oil for frying
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Cut each eggplant into 12-14 pieces.
- Salt the eggplant pieces and let them stand for 30 minutes. Rinse them and dry them with a towel. In this way we reduce the bitterness of the eggplant.
- Put plenty of sunflower oil in the pan and fry them. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Cut the onion and celery into slices and sauté them in a saucepan with olive oil.
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces, drain the capers in plenty of water, remove the seeds from the olives and throw them in the pot.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the vinegar, sugar, tomato paste and pour the mixture into the pot. Bring to a boil, add the raisins and eggplants.
- Garnish with basil.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?