“Spetsofai” is a traditional, spicy dish which has its origins in both Greek and Italian gastronomy. It is made of traditional sausages and pepper-tomato sauce.
- 4 traditional (“village”) sausages
- 3 green pepper (cut in sticks)
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes or a can
- 1 onion (sliced)
- ¼ cabbage (sliced)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- Chili flakes
- Salt & pepper
- 1 bay leave
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1 bunch parsley (chopped)
- 2tbsp yogurt (optional)
- Add some olive oil in a large pot (high- intense heat). Slice the sausages and sauté until rosy-brown. Transfer into a plate.
- Add in the pot the cabbage, the onion, the tomato puree and sauté. Add the pepper sticks and sauté again.
- Pour over the wine and, when it’s evaporated, add the sugar, the tomatoes, the herbs & spices. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the yogurt and serve!